When searching for medical information on the Internet, it's important to think critically about your sources. Below are a few tips on finding medical information on the Internet:
- As a general rules of thumb .edu's and .gov's are the best sites to use; however, that's not to say there aren't legitimate .com medical information sites.
- Consider authority. Who created the site? Can they be contacted? Are they an expert?
- It's important that medical information be up-to-date. When was the website last updated?
- Ask yourself what the purpose of the site is. Does the creator have an agenda? Are they biased in some way? Is the website trying to sell you something?
- And, finally, is the information accurate? Can it be tested against another source?